Yes, be silly, go a little crazy, Go Bananas! Dare to be different, unique and celebrate yourself.
That was my inspiration for this Vegan Banana Bread, and don’t think that because it is vegan it lacks flavor or consistency; on the contrary, it can definitely beat many of the traditional recipes for banana breads.
Disclaimer: This banana bread is hard to resist. If you decide to make it, I encourage you to share half of it right away to avoid temptations. But don’t worry, I promise I won’t judge you if you decide to keep it all for yourself.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple sauce (or apple juice)
- 3 tbs canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Optional: 1/2 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts or almonds)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly oil a loaf pan. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking power, baking soda and salt
- In a blender or food processor, blend bananas, apple sauce, sugar, canola oil, vanilla
- Add the wet batter to the dry ingredients. Fold in nuts and/or chocolate chips. Stir gently until all ingredients are well combined
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center
- Cool down for 20 minutes before slicing
*Recipe adapted from “1000 vegan recipes” by Robin Robertson